Friday, April 30, 2010

It's been too long!

Sorry for the delay (I say this as though people read my blog,) I've been busy attempting to graduate. I think everything is in order there so now I can get back to things I actually enjoy, like talking about my dog.
As Abby has gotten older she's developed a unexplainable dislike for some people. There doesn't seem to be any real connection between the people, other than that big people scare her and men more than women but it isn't consistent. I've read numerous articles and I can't seem to find anything that really helps her so I've taken to what I call the "full-immersion" technique. In other words, if she's afraid of one of my friends, I pick her up and have them pet her. That generally seems to help, that or giving the stranger a treat to give to her. Ben and I would also like to get her started in some agility training but it's a little bit costly so I'm not positive when that will happen...
I still feel like a failed parent though. I worked really hard to try to make sure she was socialized and while I succeeded with dogs (other than big and loud ones) I seem to have forgotten about people. I'm still holding on to hope that as she gets older she'll grow out of it.
Other than developing a fear of strangers, Abby has been lots of places this month and has even had "an extended slumber party" with Dixie. In other words, her parents dropped her off and Ben and I shuttled her back and forth between our apartments for the weekend. In the picture seen here, they're begging for something they probably shouldn't be eating (like pepperoni or ice cream.) And I'm sure they were successful since Ben is total pushover.
Abby has also acquired some new toys this month that I'll be reviewing in the days to come. Until then, enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment